Monday, February 22, 2010

The upper end of the middle, I suppose

I spent an hour or so this weekend trying to guilt my husband into installing a virtual machine on my computer so I could run some legacy software on my Windows 7 box. I failed.

I'm thinking he was getting back at me. A few weeks ago, I did not update his phone when I updated my own. He lost data services and his calls out were mysteriously rerouted to Rogers' customer service where a very nice women in India cheered him on as he installed the update. 24 hours later his service was restored and all was well.

OK, maybe not so well, after all, he was not inclined to help me with the damn VM and I ended up doing it myself.

From my perspective, our marriage license came with a terms of services agreement. RW took responsibility for networking, databases, and installs. I was the go to person for web building, advanced googling, troubleshooting, and all things requiring a word processor.

Times have changed. When we got married ten years ago, RW went to work doing techie business in the big city everyday and I stayed at home doing some web building, but mainly taking care of the home front. These days, I go to the office and RW stays home running a smallish accounting business and worrying about what he will make for dinner. I am in charge of an education program for a non-profit. My job also includes a techie component, including the website and our social networking presence.

The VM debacle represents that change, I suppose. So does the cell phone bit. Our TOS has apparently changed, or at the very least, been modified to include changing technologies.

We're both within hailing distance of 60. Neither one of us seems to have the burning need to embrace new technologies we used to have. If we want to make it sound better, I suppose we could say we have developed a late middle age ennui. If we were being honest, we'd probably call it the march of the noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?