Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lusting like a loser

It's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) time in Las Vegas. Whilst some of my friends dream of getting married there, I find myself musing about wandering amongst the exhibits with my tongue hanging out and my disbelief in fully suspended mode.

I've followed the CES news over the years, and because I am not a total idiot, I know the following to be true:
  • A fair number of the gadgets announced will never be made, much less sold;
  • A second group of things that look innovative when they are announced at CES will be hopelessly out of date by the time they become real;
  • The list of items that are both real and available in Canada will be small; and
  • For the next two weeks the techie blogs I follow will be filled with fanboy comments going on and on about non-existent products from people who live in their mom's basement.
As smug as I am about all of this, I am still trying to figure out how I can watch the Nexus One (not really CES) announcement when I am supposed to be in a meeting everyone seems to believe is very important, indeed. Yes, Nexus One, which, if the rumours are to be believed, will be too expensive for me to buy, won't work with any cell provider in Red Deer, and is, after all, just another phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?