Monday, January 4, 2010

I was late to work because two strangers bought a house in Florida

I had some time off work for the holidays. I swore to have a productive vacation, and, in large part I succeeded. For example, I watched almost all five years of Corner Gas on Comedy Central. I took pictures of my cats. I even washed their nests (AKA cat beds) and I thought long and hard about cleaning my desk.

I was not ready to return to work this morning. I was up early enough. Heck, I was up in time to get to work early three time zones away. But did I get in the car at 7:45? No, I did not.

Instead I watched Property Virgins. To my great shame, I watched a repeat of a four year old episode in which a couple had only five days to buy a home in Coral Gables. I already knew the home they chose was truly ugly. I remember thinking that they paid too much for a house that needed a whole lot of work.

I have no idea why I can remember a four year old TV show, but I can't remember why I opened the refrigerator or came upstairs, but that's the way it is these days.

It wasn't until the very end of the show, 15 minutes after I should have left for work, that I finally realized what I was watching for. And as soon as I did, I also realized that this would have to be one of life's great unknowns. The folks that bought the house had four young children. They bought a house with an unfenced backyard that bordered a canal on the edge of the Everglades.

I was waiting to see if there was an update, perhaps one that talked about a kidlet getting eaten by an alligator. It was the only ending that made any sense.

Did I mention how ugly the house was?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?