Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Etiquette and the moveable desk

I'm off work for the next six weeks. I am making an effort not to think about work related things anymore than absolutely necessary. I am though wondering who will sit at my desk when I am gone, and what they will do to my computer.

This is the first place I have ever worked where everyone has an administrator account and people move around the office like they are playing musical chairs. I'm lucky enough to have an out of the way office in the basement. It's quiet and highly valued in the summer because our offices have no air conditioning. Now, the people I've scared the bejesus out of will stay away from my office. OTOH, my boss is likely to assign the office to some unsuspecting summer student who believes that it is perfectly fine to install music players and games onto my pristine machine.

I've done what I can to prevent that. I have hidden my speakers (note, they are mine, not my employer's) and left behind the trackball that apparently no one else can learn to use. I have an office chair that is stuck at a height that makes working at my desk a painful nightmare for anyone over 5 feet tall. I am the only person in the office who has two monitors, and the commonly used applications open in a way that appears to be helter skelter, but makes perfect sense to me. The average person sitting at my desk will wonder how anyone actually puts a piece of paper on the desk to write, as my smallish desktop is filled to overflowing with equipment and strangely named hanging files. The truth is, I don't put paper on my desktop. On the rare occasion I have to use a pen and paper, I move elsewhere. I am digital, not analog.

When I go back to work in mid-August, I will probably be the interloper in someone else's office as I am likely to still be on crutches, and our stairs are scary things even without a mobility impairment. The plan is to move all of my equipment from the basement into my temporary digs.

It's taken two years of hard effort, but I seem to have succeeded in training the powers that be that you don't screw with The Princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment?