Saturday, June 27, 2009

Old phone numbers never die and related rantings

My last cell phone actually belonged to my employer. So, when I got a new phone a few weeks ago, I also got a new number. Actually, I got some fellow's recycled number. I don't think he used the phone for (gasp) talking very much. He does though appear to have been a texting fool. And mebbe not a very nice person. The folks who continue to text him/me/us sure seem pissed/peeved/feisty.

I reply in a very standard way, "I'm guessing that you didn't really mean to send this to a 57 year old married woman named Noodles. It appears that your target has moved on and gotten a new number." I'm thinking it will die down soon.

OTOH, the woman who has a Gmail account very like my own has been going strong since 2004. Now, I understand why someone with the same name as mine would want my Gmail address. And I try to be sympathetic, after all, I would not want to be forced to append a "1" to my very nice name either. However, it's been almost six years and she needs to suck it up and stop signing up for mailing lists, bulletin boards, and newsletters using my address.

And it's not just commercial mail. I have gotten mail from her co-workers, her friends, and her family. I know where she vacations and what she got her husband for Christmas in 2006. When I get her personal mail I either write back to the sender and let them know there has been a mix-up, or forward the mail to her myself.

You'd think that after all these years, she'd write back, but nope, nada, zilch, nothing. I'm betting she really screws up her text messages. Fortunately, that's not my problem.

1 comment:

  1. heh -- yeah my last cell phone i had inherited from a old friend/co-worker and for about two to three years after that i kept getting all her ex-boyfriend calls. quite interesting at times the sort of messages left . . .

    but now my new (2 years i think) cell phone is either a recycled number or somebody gave out my number randomly, but i'm getting all these collection calls from banks and credit card companies for a Diana H that just won't stop no matter how many times i tell them who i am and how long i've had this cell phone.

    i think i'd rather have somebody else's old boyfriends call than collection/credit companies!

    ReplyDelete

Comment?