Thursday, June 25, 2009

And then we die

The fellow with the scary hands is holding a 35,000 year old flute. That makes it the oldest instrument ever discovered. I find it comforting to think about some early human in the Ach Valley of southern Germany spending part of his or her day making music.

I also am overwhelmed by the sense of how transitory my own time on earth is. I somehow doubt that a woman living in the future will see a picture of my PC or flat screen TV and wonder about my life or be comforted by the flow of time and the connections we have with each other.

The article about the discovery of the flute points out that when this flute was made and used, people were still gnawing the raw meat off of bones. It doesn't seem all that important because I can sense the connection between us that the flute represents. Perhaps that woman from the future will have that same sense of me.

2 comments:

  1. yeah saw this article the other day too. very cool. wonder what sort of melodies played so long ago.

    made me wonder about that too -- i guess artifact left by me would be a smelly old teva sandal. they don't seem to ever wear out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you here, Limine. It's been awhile. I'm thinking they probably played stuff like Eleanor Rigby and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.

    ReplyDelete

Comment?